I think I had a discussion with J over the icq over the issue of same sex marriages quite a long time back. I was undecided then but gradually found myself drifting towards the proponent camp.
As in the case of Brown Vs Board of Education, the movement against same sex marriages is another case of discrimination and segregation. In my opinion, religious stuff aside, it’s a civil rights issue.
Another article in the Economist: The case for gay marriage also talked about the issue of civil rights.
Mr Bush says that he is acting to protect “the most fundamental institution of civilisation” from what he sees as “activist judges” who in Massachusetts early this month confirmed an earlier ruling that banning gay marriage is contrary to their state constitution.
Why should two consenting loving adults be denied this "most fundamental institution of civilisation"? Why should they settle for "almost-equal rights"?
No comments:
Post a Comment