Thursday, September 20, 2007

The right to drive?

My room overlooks a rather busy road quite a distance away. The headlights of cars never seem to stop, no matter how late it is. Of all the cars I see zooming past my window, there will be lady drivers. In spite of all the stereotypes of how lady drivers are lousier than the men and what not, it's an established fact that women have as much right to drive as the men. I think that in this time and age, we sort of take this fact for granted. I was reading the BBC news online and came across this article about Saudi women lobbying for the right to drive in their country. Apparently, it's bloody illegal for women to drive in Saudi Arabia!!! I mean, I don't have a licence myself but I sure would appreciate the fact that in the event I want to get one and start driving, I WILL be allowed to! It's not even about the religion! There's no where in the Koran that states that Women are not allowed to drive a car! So, BBC asked for people living in Saudi Arabia to write in with their views regarding this issue. As one guy puts it, "There was no problem with women riding camels and donkeys in the past. What's wrong with cars?"

No comments: