Sunday, December 09, 2007

Bkk 2007

Was supremely bored this Sunday afternoon despite sleeping more than 1/2 the day away. Met up with the Akers last night and ended up reaching home only bout 5.30. It's crazy! But they're fun folks.

Since I'll only think of food if I have nothing else to do, thought I'll blog bout BKK and upload some pictures. =) At the very least I'll not crave for food in the time I'm blogging.... though I highly suspect that I'll still munch on snacks after I blogged. =_=

BTW, BKK was fantastic! Very different from the first time I went. Not that it was not fun the first time round. But we did limited stuff in the limited time we were there. =) This time round, we had 5 days and it was cool just walking around, taking in the sights and sounds and of course... getting lost in the process. Correction: we were never really lost due to the superb direction sense of Ra. =P

Taken on the streets of 2nd day in BKK

JTJ Weekend Mkt! Full of cheap stuff if we know how to bargain... but I didn't really buy much there. But was fun though, just walking through the stalls.

Attended a Jazz Festival at a public park in the evening with Ra's friend. She's very nice and chatty. My kind of person. Hahaha... and there was a cute Jazz pianist performing... so all's good!

After that! It's dinner at a roadside store near suan lum. Really nice food! Yum! Then shopping shopping and shopping all the way at Suan Lum Night Market! My god! I nearly went mad there! Who knew there were so many stores there! The last time we went there, we merely skirted the circumference it seems!

The third day was more shopping at various shopping malls in BKK! But we got to take in the sights and sounds because we WALKED most everywhere! Yupz! You read it right the first time round! WALKED! And it was actually rather fun! Full of decorations everywhere in preparation for the King's Birthday on Dec 5th. People walking around in yellow all over BKK.


Oh, but we did take a bus to Kau San... as in a real bus with a real life bus conductor! Haha... the weird thing bout these buses was that... they never really stopped at the stops... you got to hop on when they're slowing down.... and hope that you'll get on without any accidents. But it really was an experience!

The Roti Mutaba there was fantastic!

So's the cake we had for desert. (not at the same place though) Overall, the rating for food in Thailand is A***** for FANTASTIC. =)We sort of decided to go watch a movie at MBK in the night.... managed to find our way in, only to discover that there were no more movies after 10pm and then, we almost couldn't find our way out coz the entrance we entered was locked by the time we went downstairs. In the end, we had to walk around the deserted mall and at last exit thru the rubbish area. =_= All things considered though, a very good day it was!

The next day, we decided to go look for a bookshop! This one to be more specific. We ended up... not quite lost... but we could not find it for the longest time and ended up in their version of Sim Lim Sq and slipped A&W root-beer float! But after much persistence and perseverance, we managed to find it only to discover that it was closed for lunch. =_= So we up and left to do more shopping!

Kanchanaburi!! (Death Railway)

This is actually the first time I travelled alone. And to my surprise... I kinda LIKE it! Before I went, I was actually quite worried about bringing back certain "things" with me since it's a notoriously...well... infamous place. But the place was actually very commercialised. Too commercialised in fact. =_= But it was overall a good trip. I got to visit the War Museum and War Cementary, experienced a train ride (3rd class) and travelled on the Death Railway and even sat on a speedboat along River Kwai. Some people actually thought I was still studying!! Wahahahaha.....

Nothing much there I would say... but still... not a happy place

Rows and rows of graves tend to put me in a bad mood so I'm not putting it up. Though I would show my kids next year when I'm covering WW2 with them.

The Bridge over River Kwai... but then again... it's no longer the original... except for the pillars...

The infamous Death Railway

The train! So old school right?!

The inside of it. Some Thai teenagers actually gave up their seats for me. Hehe... Do I look so auntie? But I guess they were just kind. Poor tourist cannot stand for 1 hour plus plus. =P

At certain point of the train ride, the train was actually hugging the side of the mountain... if you would stretch your hand out, you could have touched the rocks. Overall, the train ride was fun.
Speedboat on River Kwai

Waiting for blogger to upload pictures is killing me. I've lost my patience. *sigh*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! This is an awesome recap. Love the combination of pictures and comments. It certainly seems way different from our trip there! :)

I can't believe the buses don't actually come to a stop. O_O And you even took a speedboat ride? Weee!

saizou said...

haha... yupz! not that our trip wasn't fun. but it's different lah. sure did lots more sight-seeing this time round!

next stop! NEW YORK CITY!!!!

Weeee

DQ said...

did the jazz pianist come with a 10-inch pianist? *rofl*
anyway, BKK sounds fun, I'll ask u for advice if I ever head there. =)