I came across this letter in the New York Times regarding the dichotomy between “pro-life” and “pro-choice”. Actually, it’s more of a grouse about the hypocrisy of the actions of the government under the banner of “pro-life”. Admittedly, this debate seems more at home in America then here. Where we don’t have much choice to begin with anyway. But I can’t help but reflect upon my own views, which had undergone a massive change throughout the years. Perhaps, I do have to factor in my bias against the current administration in America. But biases aside, I do find that my views are leaning towards “pro-choice” these days. “Pro-lifers” always gave me this bad vibe, like the “holier than thou” attitude some people have. Perhaps I’m being unfair in my assessment but that’s the impression that they projected. Besides, what’s the use of having a baby if you cannot love it? The kid will be the one to suffer in the future. I guess adoption would be a solution. But how many kids can be adopted? What about those kids with disabilities? If their parents can’t love them, can anyone expect society to? If every kid can be adopted, there wouldn’t be so many orphans and deserted kids in the streets ya?
I guess my main grouse would be that people do not practice what they preach. If you’re a “pro-lifer”, then by all means take some of these kids in when they don’t have a home, or take care of some of the disabled kids or something. =_= Instead of wasting time picketing and protesting, being a nuisance to others. I think I know myself pretty well. I’m judgmental and tend to be too self-righteous sometimes. Haha... so I might not be the right person to say this, but I really do feel that one should think about what you’d do in the same situation before criticizing and judging. It’s so easy to moralize and preach when you are not faced with the same problems.
No comments:
Post a Comment