Sunday, July 08, 2007

Guilty of expecting too much...

I think I'm guilty of expecting too much from the kids. Just because they are in Sec 4, I assumed that they should know better... but I'd failed to stop and ask just exactly what is "better". And then I'll get angry when they failed to meet MY expectations of what a secondary four student should be doing, i.e. not serious about their academic results. Boss said that I'm still teaching above their level and I'm assuming that they WANT to be taught all these boring facts, when actually they really DON'T WANT to know. Haha...

Are 16-17 year olds clear about what they want to do about their future? Was I clear about it when I was their age? I didn't actually think about it when I was in sec 4. I just went along, did what my parents expected me to do. JC was the logical choice... the fastest route to university. Beyond that, the future was just one big blur. Getting the degree seems to be the end result rather than the stepping stone to something else.

I don't want my kids to go this same way, to go for qualifications because of the expectations of other people. On the other hand, i want them to have options. I dare say that my life is not all that bad now. I'd have a great deal less options without the qualifications I have. V says that kids will only learn after they have failed. I do agree with that assertion but hereby lies the crux of the dilemma. I DON'T want my kids to learn that way.

Perhaps it's time to listen more and expect less... =_=

No comments: